Hockey New Brunswick
HNB Calendar of Commitments
Fair Play Code
RESPECT THE GAME
Hockey Canada asks you to consider your role in showing "Respect" for the game, and for the people who make this the great game it is. How much do you RESPECT the game of hockey and all its participants? Take this simple test to see how you rate.
Check off the statements that apply to you.
- The safety of the participants in the game is more important than the final score.
- I value the contribution of the coach in developing the players talents, even though I may not always agree with their methods.
- I understand that officials do not make the hockey rules, they only apply them.
- I understand that children learn from adults, and my behaviour reflects what I want children to learn.
- I understand that officials are responsible to ensure that the game is played in a safe and fair manner for all participants.
- I understand that players, coaches and officials are learning the game, and mistakes will be made in the learning process.
- I may not cheer for the opposition team, but I will also not cheer against them or verbally abuse them.
- I understand that the biggest reason for players and officials quitting the game is abuse.
(How did you rate? If you checked off 0-2 Step back and check your motives for being involved in the game; 3-4 on your way; 5-6 almost there; 7-8 outstanding)
10 WAYS TO BECOME A GOOD HOCKEY PARENT
- Get involved with your son or daughter's team in a positive way.
- Let your son or daughter know you enjoy having them involved with the game
- Don’t lose perspective, emphasize the values associated with the game.
- Be supportive and don’t let expectations become a burden to your son or daughter
- Model respectful behaviour for your son or daughter.
- Be there for your child whether they win or lose.
- Make safety, respect, fair play and fun a priority.
- Support your child emotionally
- Encourage your child to participate but avoid pressuring them to play the game
- Communicate with your son's or daughter's coach in a professional effective manner.